Growing up, I was obsessed with Mac n' Cheese, especially Kraft Dinner and how my Mom would alter it by adding peas and carrots and sometimes even thinly sliced hot dogs (Back then we would say cut up dogs!).
Nowadays, KD on it's own is great as a special treat, but lately I do crave something a little more mature. The other day, taking stock of the ingredients I had on hand, I put together this really easy and simple pasta.
Enjoy this fast and simple recipe:
- Half a bag of Ziti, Rotini or Macaroni Pasta
- 2 Handful of Spinach, finely chopped
- Half a Large Onion or Small Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup of Peas
- 1 Tsp. of Chili Flakes
- 2 Tsp. of White Flour
- 2 Tsp. of Butter or Margarine
- 2 Cups of Milk
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mozzarella or Parmesan Cheese, grated on top
1. First to prepare the Roux/Sauce, in a small pot, heat butter/margarine until liquefied, on Med/High Heat.
2. Add chopped onion and saute gently for 7 minutes.
3. Add the flour and mix into the butter and lightly brown, should be mixed well with the flour. It should be a dry consistency with no liquid left. Brown for a 1 Min, and then add your seasoning (Salt, Pepper, Chili Flakes & Nutmeg). Stir and mix for another minute.
4. Slowly add your Milk into the pot and stir everything together, doing so slowly. Turn up the heat to high and slowly and firmly whisk the milk to blend together. Once the sauce boils, reduce heat to low and continue to whisk. If the sauce is blended well, then turn off the heat. Taste the sauce and up your seasoning if needed.
5. Prepare your pasta according to package directions. Once pasta is drained, add the sauce to the pasta and mix in your chopped spinach and peas. Cover to let the pasta and the vegetables to cook and blend into the sauce. Serve with the grated cheese of your choice.
This pasta takes no time to make and you can add Chicken or Sausage as well as other vegetables like mushrooms and zucchini!
Always Smile :) - Sand